DailyFeats and Meatless Anyday Recipe8:17 PM
|To-do: make a meatless meal once a week|
Isn’t it so completely satisfying to be able to check off items on your to-do list? Or even better – your New Year’s Resolution list? If you’re Type-A like me and feel relieved and accomplished when you can cross something off a list, then do I have a website for you.
Enter DailyFeats – the free website and app that lets you track personal goals and rewards you for every time you complete a “Feat.” DailyFeats is designed to help you reach your goals, such as be more active or spend more time with your family, through small, positive steps (think “Take the stairs” or “Tuck in your kids”). Their approach is to break down personal challenges into little pieces every day to help you reach you goal and ultimately make you healthier and happier. And as an added nudge, you can sign up for reminders to help you accomplish feats every day.
The coolest thing about DailyFeats is that you earn points for rewards or donations. For example, you can earn four points for eating fruits and veggies to 20 points for learning a new skill. Rack up your points and earn discounts to your favorite retailers (Starbucks, Amazon). Or even cooler – do the things you do everyday and donate a $1 for every 50 points toward charities such as American Heart Association and Save the Children. It’s never been easier to find motivation to do something positive everyday.
I had the opportunity to meet some of the people from DailyFeats last week at Gather Here in Cambridge while completing some very cool feats and earning points at the same time.
So I’m giving DailyFeats a try to help me achieve my goal in raising adventurous eaters. And one of my feats is to do a Meatless Monday for my family. It may not be a unique or exciting goal, but for the family that has a Bacon shrine, it’s a good place to start. Here is a meatless dish that my meat-loving family can’t get enough of.
Vegetable Stir-Fry with Maifun and Tofu
- 8 oz package maifun noodles (rice vermicelli noodles)
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shao Hsing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 oz firm tofu, well drained, cut into ½ inch cubes (we prefer Tofettes Hot & Spicy)
- 1 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces on the diagonal
- 2 bunches of scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Cook noodles as directed and set aside.
- Combine the broth, soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, rice vinegar and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- In a large non-stick skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and stir-fry for one-two minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil and add ginger and garlic and stir fry for one minute. Add broccoli, bell peppers, carrots, and green onions; stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Return tofu into skillet, stir broth mixture to a simmer and cook, stirring until hot. Add noodles, tossing to combine and cook until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve warm topped with tofu and sesame seeds.