Today is the first day of the Chinese New Year. So what does that mean? Well, according to Chinese astrologists, it could mean a whole lot depending on what animal you are in the Chinese zodiac. I guess if your business has anything to do with wood or fire, it will be a good year for you! Oh, and beware of volcanoes this year according to a recent article in The Independent.
Well, in our house it means giving the boys red envelopes with money, setting out a pair of mandarin oranges with red envelopes in each room, visiting family and friends and making a New Year's feast. The Chinese believe it is important to serve food symbolizing prosperity and good fortune. So on this year's menu, I plan on making:
- Scallion Pancakes: roundness = togetherness, gold = wealth
- Pork Dumplings: the shape of the dumplings resembles old ingot-shaped coins = wealth
- Chinese Broccoli: blossoming flowers = life
- Longevity Noodles: long noodles = long life
- Tea Eggs: Gold-colored eggs resemble gold nuggets = prosperity
Happy New Year and Gong Hay Fat Choy!