Don't get me wrong. Spring is awesome. Bright sun. Blossoming trees and flowers. Everyone seems to be cheery. Except for the days we're running from one after-school activity to another, only to get home around 7pm and realize we still have to make dinner. I often will turn to my Slacker Mom Dinner Hacks on days like this. Or I make this amazing, good-for-you, semi-homemade, Creamy Greek Chicken Noodle Soup (Avgolemono) from Dinner: The Playbook. It's become an all-time favorite at our house, especially after a long day of school and baseball practice in the spring rain.
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
Adapted from Dinner: The Playbook by Jenny Rosenstrach
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup uncooked orzo
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Handful fresh dill, chopped
Shredded rotisserie chicken
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil.
- Add orzo and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and reduce heat to low; let simmer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and lemon juice until smooth. Slowly ladle about 1/2 cup of hot broth to the egg-and-lemon mixture, whisking to combine.
- Remove simmering broth from heat (this step is crucial).
- Very slowly, drizzle the egg mixture back into the pot, whisking constantly for 2 full minutes. Season with salt and pepper, add dill and chicken and serve.