Beach Bum, I mean Peach Plum Salsa1:57 PM
This is it. The last days of summer. I knew this day would come. But I think I was pretty successful in living in denial last week while on vacation. A week on the Cape with abundant sunshine certainly helps. We also made sure our meals featured seasonal produce - corn on the cob, grilled zucchini and caprese salads just to name a few.
When I came across a recipe for Peach Plum Salsa, I was excited to test this summer fruit salsa out on my favorite beach bums.
Peach Plum Salsa
Adapted from Cook's Country Backyard Barbecue
- 1/2 jalapeno chile, seeded & minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ripe peaches, pitted and chopped fine
- 2 ripe plums, pitted and chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- kosher salt
- Whisk jalapeno, shallot, vinegar, honey, and oil in a small bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes for flavors to combine.
- Combine peaches and plums in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cupe of fruit to bowl with jalapeno mixture and mash with potoato masher until smooth.
- Add mashed fruit mixture and basil to bowl with cut fruit and stir until combined.
- Season with salt and let sit until flavors combine (15 minutes).
- Serve with grilled meat or fish or with favorite corn chips.
The Good: Easy to whip up. The boys loved, loved it. Even got them to eat their pork chops!
The Bad: Fruit will become mushy after half a day. Wasn't a problem though since the fam devoured it.
Grade: A. Solid.