One of our all-time favorite dishes at our house is Pho, a Vietnamese noodle soup that is equally as complex as it is savory and can almost always keep any cold or chilly day at bay. Pho is made with a magical broth and is served with beef or chicken, rice noodles and various garnishes such as thai basil, bean sprouts, and lime wedges. Oh yeah, and sriracha. Pho and sirarcha were made for each other.
I would try making it at home, but I haven't found the time to make the broth (it takes hours and hours for it to be authentic). So as a riff on the traditional Pho, I wanted to experiment and try making it more portable, a.k.a. a sandwich. There are your typical pho ingredients: bean sprouts, cilantro, basil, tomato, avocado, chicken, hoisin and sirarcha sauces. And then the non-traditional: everything is all wrapped in a tandori naan. The ingredients come together and will remind you of pho. And the naan is perfect wrapper, soft yet sturdy enough to keep everything together without overpowering the other ingredients. It's a small stroke of genius if I do say so myself.
Chicken Pho Sandwich
Makes 4 sandwiches (approximately $7.92 per serving)
- 1 package of 365 Everyday Value Tandoori Naan
- 4 tablespoons 365 Everyday Value Organic Hoisin Sauce
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skin removed, meat shredded (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 scallions, green parts only, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (Thai basil if available)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges (optional)
- Heat 365 Everyday Value Tandoori Naan according to package directions. Remove naan from oven and lay out in assembly-line fashion.
- Spread about a tablespoon of 365 Everyday Value Organic Hoisin Sauce in the center of each naan.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon (or more if desired) of sriracha to hoisin spread on each naan.
- Divide shredded chicken and place on top of sauces.
- Divide cilantro and scallions and distribute on top of the chicken.
- Divide avocado slices among the four sandwiches, placing them on top of the cilantro and scallions.
- Add one or two tomato slices on top of the cilantro and scallions.
- Divide basil and place on top of the tomato.
- Divide bean sprouts and distribute equally among the four sandwiches and place on top of the tomato.
- Season with salt and pepper and squeeze some lime on top, if desired. Roll sandwiches and wrap with parchment pepper. Serve immediately - no soup spoon required!
Whole Foods Market 365 Everyday Value Cook-off. The winning recipe will win a donation in a blogger's name to a local food-related non-profit.