Sticky Buns and My First Kitchen Disaster5:57 AM
|Looks okay, but what did the others look like?|
Okay, so Sticky Buns Saturday was really not my first kitchen failure. But it was the first #fail that I am admitting to and documenting. Let me start from the beginning...
I am not a baker. If I see "lightly flour work surface", beads of sweat start to form on my brow. So when I came across the Barefoot Contessa's Easy Sticky Buns recipe, I thought this was something I could do (duh, the word "Easy" is in the recipe name). Described by Ina herself as "OMG are they good... my friends go crazy when I make these." How could I go wrong, right?
Easy Sticky Buns by Ina Garten
click here for the recipe
- Place rounded tablespoon of butter and sugar mixture in muffin cups and distribute pecans evenly (so far so good!)
|1 1/2 sticks of butter in these cups - arteries are clogging just looking at this!|
- Sprinkle sheet of puff pastry with brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins and roll (easy!)
|snug like a jelly roll|
- Slice the roll in 6 equal pieces (I can do this!)
|these are pretty even on my floured work surface|
- Place each piece, spiral side up in muffin cups (I think I got this.)
|Starting to look like sticky buns!|
- Bake for 30 minutes, until sticky buns are golden to dark brown on top (Crap! What happened?!)
Well, either the oven temp was off or I got distracted and let these guys bake too long (which do you think?). I was able to salvage one or two, but the consistency matched how they looked - like mini hockey pucks studded with little black rocks disguised as raisins and pecans. The oven was also a crusted mess of butter-sugar mixture.
The recipe really is easy and only a dope like myself can screw this one up. But I am not deterred and will be making this again. But next time I will keep track of the baking time like I should be doing. And maybe look into purchasing an oven thermometer too!