Meal Plan week of 1/19: Delicious Recipes My Kids Will Help Make

5:32 PM


(photo credit: ChopChop Magazine)

I'm planning this week's meal before the big New England Patriot's playoff game (we're Pats fans here). As I'm digging through cookbooks, magazines and websites trying to figure out what to make for dinner this week, all I can think of is "Do Your Job" - the new rallying cry for our home team. Yes, I'm going to do my job of taking care of my family. But I'm also going to do my job as a parent and teach my kids to cook.

Did you see this piece in the Huffington Post: 10 Things I Want My Son to Learn Before He Becomes a Teenager? One of the life lessons was to teach her son how to cook for himself. I couldn't agree more. I think it is a parent's job to teach their kids to be self-sufficient, including in the kitchen. And it's never too early to start. So this week, I'm picking simple, healthy, delicious recipes my boys will learn how to make. One day they will cook me a delicious dinner and I will sit back and feel great that I have done my job.
Monday: Mushroom Barley Soup - this hearty winter soup from kid's cooking magazine ChopChop will be a good lesson in patience. Plus a perfect Meatless Monday recipe.
Tuesday: Chicken Adobo - another recipe from ChopChop (if you're going to teach your kids to cook, this is THE place to go you guys). We've never made Chicken Adobo, but I have a feeling they are going to love this.
Wednesday: Maple Candy Pork Chops & Sweet Potato Fries - super simple lesson on marinades. Plus maple syrup and sweet potato fries? A sweet savory dinner from Dinner: A Love Story that will sure to please.
Thursday: Bittman's Fastest Chicken Parmesan - A different lesson from Monday's slow cooking soup. Bittman's shows you cooking need not take all day. With some planning and shortcuts, dinner can be on the table fast.
Friday: Baked Shells with Winter Squash - my kids love mac and cheese. I want to show them how to make a healthier, seasonal version from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food.

Have a good week!

Disclosure: I work for ChopChop Magazine, but really truly feel this is one of the best resources for teaching kids to cook! Really!

You Might Also Like

0 comments